Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Vegan MoFo III – Thai peanut “chicken” and Yams with Apple Butter

Vegan MoFo III – Thai peanut “chicken” and Yams with Apple Butter
Thai Peanut “Chicken”
This recipe owes a lot to my dear friend MG. She made something very similar and I totally stole it and made it my own.
I took WestSoy Thai Peanut tofu and cut into squares. I sautéed it in peanut oil (1 tbsp) with: squash, zucchini, baby carrots, red onion, garlic, Brussels sprouts and mushrooms. I topped it with a dash of sesame oil (less than 1 tsp), celtic sea salt and liberal amounts of cracked peppercorns. I also think fresh ginger would be excellent – but I didn’t have any. Then I put it over brown rice.
You could really add any vegetables you wanted for your own version. I am thinking of making it again with asparagus and whole mushrooms. It was also very pretty. I need to remember to take pictures of these dishes. I love to make very colorful dishes and the carrots, zucchini and squash really added nice color. It was fun, easy to make and very delicious. I feed my roommate too and she also loved it.
Yams with Apple Butter
Since my recent breakup my cousin and her husband have been really great about inviting me over for dinner. Usually, I bring my own food and something we can all eat since they are omni. It was so nice on Sunday, they specifically made a dish that I could eat. We had this fantastic, yummy spinach salad with toasted almonds and walnuts, dried cranberries and mandarin oranges. Mmmm.. so good! I just skipped the dressing and didn’t even miss it. I brought over bread which we dipped in olive oil with salt and cracked pepper.
They also made yams and I brought cinnamon and natural (and organic) apple butter. It was so delicious! I made sure to get apple butter without added sugar (I only use a handful of sweeteners: agave, natural fruit juice, evaporated cane juice etc) and it was still very sweet and tangy. It just added a lovely zest to the yams. My cousin also made the yams in the oven which I am far too lazy and impatient to do (5-7 minutes in the microwave)… The meal was so lovely and colorful. Perfect for fall! Next I am going to try apple butter and cinnamon over frozen (organic) butternut squash. I read a recipe for that that sounds simple and easy (microwave the squash, mash it up, add apple butter and cinnamon).

Tonight - I am going to try Vegan Pizza and maybe "Fiesta Brown Rice Salad"

No comments:

Post a Comment