Friday, October 9, 2009

So, I think he’s a stalker, what do I do?

So, I think he’s a stalker, what do I do?
You don’t know this yet, but I used to be a police dispatcher on a college campus. So this is something we dealt with constantly. If you didn’t run out and get it before, go get “The Gift of Fear.” Have you read it yet? Ok continue.
J Just kidding. I know you are finishing this post. But really do read the book – I want the best for you ladies and your safety is paramount.
Women are trained to be polite and we want to let people down gently. Now, this is general good practice, but not when you have a stalker. In any situation you want to be very clear when you do not want to continue a relationship. No matter the stage. You should not be cruel, because that can fuel a stalkers obsession and anger. But very clearly state that you are not interested in pursuing a relationship and tell him not to contact you. Do not engage in any further debate. And then the most important thing is non engagement. He will still try to contact you. He is a stalker for goodness sakes. Change your voicemail to a number or non personal message so he can’t hear your name or voice. Do not believe him when he leaves messages “just to talk” or similar. You must never, ever have contact in any way with him again. I am not saying you need to change your number. That will just encourage him to track it down and make him angry. If you never have contact with him again, eventually he will move on. Simple as that. Now, it is more difficult if he knows where you work or live. Just make sure you have been clear and do not engage. That will start the cycle all over again.
Please note that these rules are for preventing a full blown stalker. If you feel like you are in danger or they have been violent that is a very different situation. I hope that is not the case. I love you so much and want you to be safe and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment