Friday, October 16, 2009

Keep your boy friend close and your girl friends closer

Recently I was in a (I thought) happy and successful relationship. Recently I was broken up with. Honestly, it was like a scene out of Bridget Jones (book not movie – although I love both). Within 10 minutes of receiving my text my lovely friends were at my apartment.
Even in the midst of a successful relationship maintaining a close network of friends is crucial. You need them. I mean, who else is going to tell you that skirt you love so much does nothing for your figure? Or that getting a perm is a terrible idea? Also, you need the emotional support outside of your SO. I do not recommend getting lost in the relationship. I have known too many people who have made that mistake, and then when the relationship ends there is no one to turn to.
I realize that I am very blessed with both an incredible group of smart, beautiful, amazing women and a very close and supportive family. It’s almost over whelming if I think about what my life would be like without them. I did live away for a few years so I know what it was like to not be with family/friends, but I still had the network. And when I moved home it was right there waiting.
I am so glad that I retained those relationships both while away, and then when in a relationship. There can be some hurt feelings if you constantly blow off your group. Eventually, they will stop asking you. I realize that is hurtful, but you have to understand if a friend constantly rejected your offers to hang out, you would stop calling too. All too often a friend that is never available will complain about never being invited out, and I will (gently, always gently) point out that they never come out anyway.
Please note ladies, when a friend starts complaining about never being invited out, start inviting her! I realize you may be hurt that they are too busy for you, but put yourself in her position. We have all been in that unhealthy consuming love where we forget to come up for air.
In fact, let this statement stand alone. Always, try to put yourself in the other person’s position. Try to see why they act the way they do. I am not saying that should let you excuse dangerous, harmful, or hurtful behavior. What I am saying is that it will help you to understand their behavior. Everyone is unique to start with and then everyone comes from a unique past. These differences are exponential and that is why people often react to things quite differently.
Love,
Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment