Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Vegan MoFo II – Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup


Vegan MoFo II – Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
I am feeling under the weather so I made Vegan “chicken” noodle soup. I found three different recipes on-line and combined them at will. I used Chicken style Seitan in place of Chicken and No Chicken Broth and No Chicken bouillion. Then you have to look very hard for eggless egg noodles. Other than that the recipe is basically the same as regular Chicken Noodle soup. I did add carrots and celery and celtic sea salt and lots of ground pepper. Also fresh garlic. It tastes awesome and I swear that I immediately felt better. It made a ridiculous amount of food so I put most of it in Tupperware are put in the freezer (I will add a pic later). It re-heats very nicely from frozen.
Here are the links to the three recipes I combined. I couldn’t find all the items and am lazy so I took the items I could find and were easy to prepare from each recipe. Also, I don’t like onion in CNS (but love it otherwise), I think it overpowers the other flavors.
http://www.chooseveg.com/display_recipe.asp?recipe=13
vegfrugalhousewife.com/2008/.../vegan-chicken-noodle-soup/
www.bexn.net/2006/12/vegetarian-chicken-noodle-soup.html
Mostly I followed the recipe from Choose Veg: but I omitted the onion and used baby carrots cut in half – because I’m lazy. Also, I didn’t dice the celery, I cut it across (the short way) like you normally see celery. Then I used chicken style seitan because that is what I could find and I couldn’t find Mueller’s “dumpling” noodles so I grabbed the closest thing I could find.
• 2 to 3 Tbsp. olive oil
• 2 carrots, peeled and diced
• 2 carrots, peeled and diced
• 1 medium onion, finely diced
• 2 stalks celery, diced
• 2 bay leaves
• 6 cups boiling water mixed with faux-chicken bouillon powder, according to package directions (look for Osem and Telma brands, available in the Kosher section of your supermarket)
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1 lb. faux chicken, torn into bite-size chunks (try Worthington’s Chic-Ketts at Kelloggs.com or NoMeat.com)
• 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
• 1/2 lb. eggless flat noodles (try Mueller’s “dumpling” noodles)
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add the carrots, parsnip, onion, and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the bay leaves, faux-chicken broth, salt, and pepper to the pot, raise the heat, and bring to a boil. Add the faux-chicken chunks, parsley, and noodles, return the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the noodles are tender.
Remove the bay leaves and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment