Friday, October 9, 2009

Relationship advice is all well and good – but how do I meet someone?

Relationship advice is all well and good – but how do I meet someone?
Meeting someone! Oh the horror. It’s no wonder we continue to date our current idiots. The devil you know as they say. We have spent weeks, months, years even making these “men” comfortable or at least bearable. We are used to their problems and sketchy behavior. And starting a new relationship is so much work; you have to start all over again from scratch and who knows if it is even worth the effort or will work out? I am exhausted just thinking about it.
Before you can even begin to worry about any of that (not that it will stop you!); you do have to meet someone. I have to admit, I am terrible at this. When I go out and about I am not trying to meet anyone, ever. I am going because I love to play and be with my friends and meet new friends. But I am not trying to meet a new boy. Even when single. ;) It is a pretty big flaw in my game. Some girls, however, are fantastic. I give my bff T. the award for picking up guys. Even now that she is married (completely happily and faithfully I promise) she still retains her mad skills. She doesn’t use those skills anymore, except for the greater good.
Here is her game, it is simple yet effective. When you are out, pay attention (my number one flaw). You never know who is checking you out. Watch for signs, scan the room. When you see someone you are interested in looking, catch their eye briefly, smile (not crazily – don’t be creepy!). Then later make your way to their area, say something witty maybe touch their arm and then walk away. If they like you they come talk to you. Note – without this assurance a [nice] man will never, ever come talk to in the midst of your girl friends. That is terrifying for him. Unless he is: intoxicated, slimy, desparate or stupid this will not happen (until about 12:30 or later, of by then he is all four). Try to stand near the edge of the group if you want to be approached. Or better yet, wait by the bar. When he does come to talk to you, feel free to give out your number but do not go home with him! If this is confusing for you go read Steve Harvey’s book, “Act like a Lady, Think like a Man,” immediately!
If he tries to get you to come home with him
That’s ok. Just don’t go! You don’t know this guy for goodness sakes! Not to make you completely paranoid but he could be a crazy psycho killer. Also, are you intoxicated? Your dream honey that you just picked up (even though he thinks it was all him) may not be such a dream. Check your sources, see if anyone knows him. You probably only have a first name so you can’t google or facebook check him, unless you have a mutual friend. Grill them for information. The more you know and all that.
If you can’t find out anything and he calls you for a date? Awesome! Go! But drive separately and meet somewhere public.

No comments:

Post a Comment